- Festive Attire
The Festive Attire of Elizabethan and Renaissance Costuming
European countries were experiencing a flourish of culture during the Renaissance and Elizabethan eras, which lasted from 1450 AD to 1600 AD. The cultural boom was not limited to art and literature; it also led to dramatic changes in fashion and exotic accessories such as ostrich feathers..
At the beginning of the Renaissance period, women started to wear flowing skirts and robes, instead of the long trains that were popular during the Gothic period, and they used jewels and veils to adorn their hair. Men were often seen wearing short doublets over shirts with open necks and billowy sleeves. The most sought after fabrics at that time were satin, velvet, and cotton. Around the 15th century, many Europeans began to wear German-style clothing, which was more massive and horizontal. Men’s garments featured square cutting and elaborate trimming, while women’s attires became voluminous, with heavily-pleated hoop-skirts.
Clothing was representative of social status during the Elizabethan era. Women’s costumes were mostly very modest, and they completely covered the body from the neck to the feet. Fitted bodices were used to make women’s waists look smaller and their shoulders broader, but later on, gowns began to feature straighter waistlines. Most men wore jerkins, doublets, and hose, as well as cloaks and hats. Fabrics that were popular among the upper classes during the Elizabethan era included stain, velvet, fur, silk, taffeta, and cotton.
Here are a number of websites that provide more information about Renaissance and Elizabethan costuming:
- Renaissance Costume History: Information on the history of Renaissance fashion.
- Fashion of the Renaissance Period: Comprehensive information about the popular clothing styles during the Renaissance period.
- Guide to Renaissance Women Fashion: Article that discusses the types of costumes that were worn by Renaissance women.
- Elizabethan Costume: An overview of an Elizabethan costume.
- Elizabethan Men’s Clothing: Information about men’s clothing during the Elizabethan era, as well as illustrations.
- Renaissance Doublet: Overview of the 15th century men’s doublets.
- 16th Century Hose: Information about the kinds of hose that were worn during the 16thcentury.
- 16th Century Renaissance Fashion: A collection of images that show different styles of clothing during 16th century Renaissance.
- Renaissance Picture Gallery: Pictures showing the costumes of Renaissance men and women in the kitchen and marketplace.
- European Middle Class Costumes: Illustrations of costumes that were worn by middle class Europeans during the 16th century.
- Renaissance Countrywomen Costumes: Images of the costumes of countrywomen during the time of the Renaissance.
- Tudor Dress Images: An extensive list of images of the Tudor dress.